Monday, May 12, 2014

Life Lessons. Love, Tampa.

Two years ago, when I was leaving Atlanta, I created this list of things that I learned while living there. Now, two weeks out from my next interstate move, I came up with my Tampa list. I'm not sure if it was living in the sunshine state, being in graduate school, or moving out of my mid-twenties, but this season of life taught me more about myself than any before. This list is not anywhere near comprehensive, nor have I mastered these…but I'm thankful regardless.

1. Figure out what makes you happy and do more of it.
2. I value a purposeful life over almost everything else.
3. Life is funny, unpredictable, and sometimes hard, but there is not a lot I can do to control it. Enjoying the ride requires flexibility and gratitude.
4. Sometimes, it is okay to just live one minute at a time even if you wish life had a fast forward button.
5. There is NO common path and no one can tell you what decisions to make. Only you know what is best for you. It takes practice to be able to this confidently.
6. I want a life full of small adventure, love, and laughter.
7. People actually look up to me (what?) and I've learned to treat that as a responsibility. It keeps me honest.
8. My gut is smarter than my head and my heart.
9. When life feels difficult, it's okay to truly feel those emotions, but at some point, you need to let go and make yourself happier. It is unproductive to live in slumps.
10. I've learned a lot about asking for what I need and balancing that with my tendency to be a people-pleaser.
11. There comes a point when you have to decide whose opinions really matter and who you will allow to impact your life. I need trusted people to give me well-timed pep talks, to share in my joy, and to ask the right questions, but those things from the wrong people are NOT helpful.
12. There really are no rules and we have to figure out how to create our own stories. Although it sometimes doesn't feel this way, we actually have a lot of freedom to do so - we just have to make the commitment.
13. I need spontaneous people in my world who are able to throw out their plans on a whim.
14. Be a team player. It is better when people don't have to ask you to show up because they're already familiar with your reliability.
15. I'm thankful to have learned what true, healthy relationships really look like and I vow never to go backwards.

In just two short years, I feel like I experienced a lot of life. I've seen success, learned about change, been through heartbreak, growth, and joy, and earned a new degree. Honestly, I'm not really ready to let it all go…but then maybe that is a lesson in itself. I'm prepared to move on and it is best to do so before reaching a state of complacency. 

"The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be the beginning." 
- Ivy Baker Priest

1 comment:

  1. All great lessons. Blessed to have learned so much in your twenties. The best is yet to come!

    ReplyDelete