Sunday, July 21, 2013

Courage

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."

I am a big fan of quotes...they typically convey truth that I just can't put words around. This one, in particular, is NEVER untrue in my life. Ever. Never has been and I would put money on the fact that it never will be. Getting out of that comfort zone takes huge amounts of courage though...and that is almost always a little bit scary. For me, sometimes the littlest things take courage. I become seriously uncomfortable driving to a new place in a city if I don't know where I will be able to park my car. Dating takes SERIOUS courage and although I enjoy meeting new people, sometimes you have to do so in uncomfortable ways. Creating something new at work...scary. Trying a new restaurant even can be outside of your comfort bubble. 

Think about it though...the greatest rewards always come from the steps that are the greatest leaps from comfort. Moving away from home (twice...farther and farther! ugh.) has completely transformed my social circle, my inner circle, my hopes, dreams, aspirations, confidence level, happiness tactics, likes, dislikes, hobbies...the list goes on. My comfort zone is safe. It does not stretch me. It contains the same people and quickly repels new friends. Comfort is easy. Comfort never requires change. Comfort is rarely exciting and is boring to share. Comfort stunts growth and therefore...truly living

I think it is a really good challenge to take one uncomfortable step a day. Try something new at your favorite restaurant, call a friend you've lost touch with, try out forgiveness, take a new route home, make plans to skydive, plan a vacation, admit to fault, move, let someone read your writing, ask questions, take a cooking class, try yoga, stop doing things that make you unhappy...no matter how comfortable. Be bold. The rewards can be huge. You owe it to yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment