Friday, June 7, 2013

A Happiness Journey

I turned 26 about a month ago. In December, when I realized that my birthday was "coming up," I also realized that, for some reason, 26 was meeting me with some anxiety. I know that this is not old, and the fact that I am nowhere near on my way to marriage is totally fine (repeat, repeat, repeat), and that being in graduate school is an absolute success at any age, but, as many things do, my birthday made me extremely reflective...on many things that I do not have, it seems.

That day has come and gone and with the help of my friends and family, I have been able to transform my attitude to one of gratitude and happiness. Another year? What a tremendous blessing. My life should be celebrated and I should be the first to realize that, using one day a year to evaluate just how much I have been given. It is incredible and humbling.

I just finished my first year in a master's program. Said program has amplified my ability to be self-aware and I've realized that I've adopted (or maybe more accurate - defined) a new lease on life and that is the purpose of this blog. I've realized that happiness is really a journey and that the things that make me happy will ebb and flow. I also know that largely, I am in control of my own happiness and I need to act as such.

There are beautiful things, friends, students, colleagues, weather, books, etc. that inspire me to not only be better, but to be ME every day. These are the things that I want to share. I've been prompted and inspired to focus on what makes me happy in this new year of life and to continually better myself throughout the process. Knowing that I try to love fiercely, enjoy building relationships, and attempt to be selfless, making myself happy should only benefit those around me.

Welcome to the journey- buckle up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment